How do I prepare for my appointment?
- Schedule any spa appointments - mani/pedi, massage, waxing, etc. 1-2 days before tan.
- Thoroughly exfoliate and shave the day before your tan. It works best if you use exfoliating gloves or a grainy body wash. If you don't have an exfoliating product readily available then a natural way to exfoliate would be to add sugar to a normal cleanser (but not Dove or Olay products). This is an important step to ensuring even coverage and fading!
- Don't use Dove or Olay soap products (bar or bottle) leading up to the day of your tan. It leaves a film on your skin that prevents an even application.
- Your skin should be clean and dry before being sprayed. Do not apply any moisturizers, deodorants, antiperspirants, perfume, oils or makeup before your tanning appointment. They can effect tan development. We provide baby and makeup wipes if needed.
- Wear or bring loose, dark clothes to wear right after your tan and until you wash off the bronzer (we will inform you of rinse time prior to leaving).
- Long sleeves and pants help prevent anything from splashing on or rubbing against your skin until you shower.
- Some prefer to wear a loose, cotton dress
- It's recommended, when possible, to avoid wearing a bra as long as the bronzer is on your skin. Any significant rubbing against your skin could impact development. Of course, this just depends on your comfort level and what works for you.
- The bronzer may rub on your clothes but will wash out of most everyday fabrics such as cotton (silk, leather, and other high-end clothing materials are NOT recommended for wearing until after your rinse).
What do I wear during the session?
For women: Bottoms required, but you can otherwise choose whatever makes you comfortable. Most importantly: this is a judgement-free zone with the utmost discretion. Every woman is beautiful and unique!
Dark-colored clothing or swimsuit is recommended. String bikinis are not recommended due to the potential for the strings to rub against your skin post-tan.
We are not accepting male clients at this time.
How do I maintain my tan?
- Avoid exercising or other sweat-inducing activities until it is time to rinse off the bronzer and for preferably the first 24 hours.
- For your first shower: Rinse with warm water just to get the bronzer off of your skin (no soaps, shaving, shampoo or conditioner). Be sure that all bronzer is rinsed off in order to achieve even development.
- Rapid Tan: rinse in 2 hours for light, 3 for medium, 4 for medium-dark color
- Standard solution: rinse in 8-10 hours (do not leave on longer than 10 hours)
- Important: Leaving the solution on longer than recommended could actually cause it to overdevelop and affect the color.
Your tan may continue to develop for up to 24 hours from the time of your appointment, including post-rinse.
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! At least once per day and following every shower, be sure to moisturize your entire body using a paraben-free lotion. Twice daily for a minimum of a week will provide the best results. Keeping moisturized will ensure an even fade.
- Chlorinated jacuzzis, saunas, and steam rooms may cause your tan to fade faster.
- When shaving, aim for lighter strokes to help prevent exfoliation of your tan.
What is the difference between a "rapid" and a "standard" tan?
A rapid tan really means rapid "rinse." Each time you get a tan, you'll see an immediate bronze color, and this is the bronzer. It's a great color guide, but you eventually rinse it off while your actual tan continues to develop underneath. You can rinse sooner due to it being a faster developing solution. So, depending on the desired level of darkness, you leave the tanning appointment and rinse the bronzer in 2-4 hours and go about your day/night as you normally would. It's generally easier and more convenient. I recommend this for first-time or infrequent tanners.
Sometimes, due to scheduling needs or individual preference, clients choose the "standard" tan, sleep in the bronzer overnight, and rinse the next morning. This may be necessary if you're getting a late evening tan and don't want to be up rinsing the bronzer late at night.
If you're unsure which is best for you and are trying to figure out the best time to schedule, feel free to contact me, and I'd be happy to help!
How do I know the tan won't look orange or unnatural with my skin tone?
I am dedicated to providing you with only the best, high-end solutions. Through research and testing, I've landed on a few brands that meet my high expectations but also provide options to meet my clients' needs.
Prior to your tan, we will discuss what depth of bronze you're looking to achieve. This includes discussing your skin type - oily/dry/combination or if you have any allergies or sensitivities. Based on this, I will create a customized experience for you to get the result you're looking for.
It's important to follow the recommended prep and rinse instructions to ensure you achieve a beautiful, bronze glow.
What should I expect with a mobile tan?
At your scheduled appointment time, I will arrive with gear in hand to set up for your tanning session. The equipment that I carry in my bag includes a pop-up tent, airbrush machine and other accessories. This includes a powerhouse extraction fan, so you don't have to worry about overspray!
After establishing the best location in your home and setting up (good lighting and ventilation are factors I consider), I'll set up in about 5-10 minutes.
Once set up, if this is your first airbrush tan with Pineapple Tan, we'll chat about what depth of color you're looking for and other information that helps me choose the right solution for you. After that, we get you ready with barrier cream and other protective items as you choose to use them, and we begin!
The airbrush time itself will only last 10-15 minutes. From start to finish, it should be about 30-45 minutes.
Is DHA (the bronzing ingredient in the solution) safe?
DHA has been approved by the FDA and used in cosmetic products since the 1970s. It's derived from glycerin, which has a vegetable origin. We do take recommended precautions by the FDA by providing you with lip, nose, and other protective items if you choose to use them.
What if I am breastfeeding or pregnant?
If you're breastfeeding, you can wear a strapless bra or bathing suit top. Sticky covers are also provided if you prefer to use them. If you are pregnant, we ask that you check with your doctor first.
I'd like to request an appointment time that's not currently available. What can I do?
If you're looking for a specific day/time that's not available through online booking, feel free to reach out via email or text, and we'll see if we can work something out!
Will my sunless tan protect against the sun?
No. There aren't any ingredients in the sunless tan solution that protect against the sun's rays. If you plan to spend any time in the sun, you must utilize sunscreen.
What sunscreen should I use?
A spray-tan friendly sunscreen that we LOVE and have available for purchase is White Girl Sunscreen. It smells amazing - no more sunscreen smell - and it's light and easy to apply.
Two ingredients commonly found in sunscreen that you will want to avoid are alcohols and oils.
Alcohol and oil will break down the integrity of your sunless tan and cause uneven fading/streaking. Unfortunately, many sunscreens contain these ingredients; however, sunscreens without harsh alcohols and oils do exist! Look for sunscreens that claim oil free and/or hypoallergenic.